Type of Play: Promotion
Subcategory: Spreading the Word
Student Interest Areas: Culinary, Event Planning, Physical Fitness, Sports
Grade Level: Elementary & Secondary
Level of Involvement: Going Further
Host a community-wide health fair to highlight the importance of healthy eating and physical activity. Through presentations by local health and fitness professionals, fun physical activities and healthy eating opportunities, help students, teachers and families in the community learn how they can improve the healthy eating and physical activity both at school and at home.
- Help select the best time and place to hold a health fair
- Select fun physical activities to do during the fair
- Solicit donations of food, equipment and/or prizes to support the fair
- Help choose healthy foods to serve
- Select and invite special guests
- Prepare and distribute handouts to participants
- Promote the event and invite families to participate
- Work with your school nurse and other health professionals to come up with a list of possible presenters at your fair. Invite people from the local community to give presentations, set up tables with information about their healthy eating or physical activity offerings and even just to attend to learn more about what you are doing. Some possible guests might be personnel from the local hospital or a local pediatrician, a local celebrity (such as a health news broadcaster) or a local chef.
- Plan an event that includes time (and space) for presentations; fun activities, such as races or contests that families can do together; and healthy eating food offerings. Form a team and meet with the principal to decide on the best day, time and school location for the event. The fair could have inside and outside activities so people can move around and get the most out of the event.
- Work with your school nutrition professionals to decide which healthy foods to have at the picnic. Select several fun physical activities that everyone can do together and organize the activities. Solicit parent or student volunteers to “man” the activity stations so everyone can participate and have fun.
- Contact local businesses and organizations to see if they will donate food, tables or other equipment and resources like prizes for event-winners to help make your fair a success.
- Consult the Tools and Resources below to find activity ideas, information sheets, sample request letters and more for help in getting the community involved.