Type of Play: Physical Activity
Subcategory: Take a Break for Health
Student Interest Areas: Physical Fitness, Public Relations, Sports
Grade Level: Elementary & Secondary
Level of Involvement: Getting Started
Encourage students to stay active by sneaking in short physical activity breaks during the school day. With guidance from your school’s P.E. teachers, have classroom teachers include 3- to 5-minute breaks for fun and creative physical activities during class.
- Form a planning team
- Prepare and help make a presentation to teachers and the principal
- Provide classroom teachers with a bank of activities
- Lead the in-class physical activity breaks
- Promote the program with students and teachers
- Ask for student input
- Make In-Class Activity Breaks a regular part of your school day!
Keep It Going:
- Form a team of students and P.E. teachers to brainstorm brief physical activities that can be done in class with minimum equipment. The goal of activities should be to get students and their teachers moving in a fun and creative way in order to get up to half the recommended 60 minutes of daily physical activity (outside of P.E. classes) during the school day.
- Check out the Tools and Resources below for suggestions and activity ideas, plus resources you can use with teachers.
- Plan a presentation for classroom teachers and the principal to show how physical activity can be incorporated into regular classroom activities, as short breaks during class or as the beginning or end of class periods. Ask for their input and gain their support. See the Tools and Resources below for help preparing your presentation.
- Share a list of physical activity suggestions. Encourage teachers to be creative and devise and share some of their own activity ideas!
- Promote In-Class Physical Activity Breaks among students and teachers by putting up signs advertising the program and encouraging students and teachers to participate. Make morning announcements that highlight some of the activities that have taken place and that make suggestions for further activities.
- Ask students to make comments and choose their favorite activities. Conduct a poll or have students leave comments with team members or in a “comment box” in the P.E. office.