Type of Play: Physical Activity
Subcategory: Physical Activity Anytime, Anywhere
Student Interest Areas: Arts, Physical Education, Physical Fitness, Public Relations
Grade Level: Elementary & Secondary
Level of Involvement: Going Further
Work with your school leaders to find a classroom or space that is not being used and create a fitness center that can be used by students and teachers before, during and after school. Show students and the whole community that physical activity is a valuable part of your school’s day!
- Form a design team
- Identify areas of the school that could serve as a fitness center
- Solicit donations of equipment and supplies
- Create activity posters with ideas and information about physical activity
- Help paint and set up the fitness center
- Encourage friends and classmates to be physically active every day
Keep It Going:
- Form a fitness center development team consisting of students, P.E./health professionals, teachers and your principal. Have your team decide which areas of the school might be a good location for a fitness center—maybe an empty classroom or a hallway area that isn’t used much. Work with your groups and the administration to decide the best days and times to open the center, and find volunteer adults to supervise.
- Contact local businesses and civic organizations for donations of time, materials and funds to get equipment for the room, move materials in and set up a fitness center that everyone can use. Provide information to the businesses about what you are trying to do and why. Create a presentation highlighting the benefits of physical activity and how having a place to go for short workouts will help everyone in your school.
- Solicit donations of exercise mats, paint and equipment from the community. Use the Tools and Resources below to help. Consider applying for funding for Fuel Up to Play 60 to make it happen!
- Meet with your team and other volunteers to paint the fitness area over a weekend or school break. When school resumes, enjoy a bright new fitness center that will help keep your entire school motivated and interested in physical activity.
- Make signs and posters highlighting activities that can be done in the fitness center. Use the ideas in the Tools and Resources to help with your ideas.