Type of Play: Physical Activity
Subcategory: Physical Activity Anytime, Anywhere
Student Interest Areas: Advocacy, Physical Education, Physical Fitness, Public Relations
Grade Level: Elementary & Secondary
Level of Involvement: Going Further
Is your school offering P.E. to all students every day? If not, work with your school’s P.E. staff, athletic director, administration and parent organization to try to implement what the National Association for Sport and Physical Education calls Quality P.E. Programs.
- Arrange a meeting with the school’s key influencer groups
- Provide advocates and key audiences with Fuel Up to Play 60 information
- Provide parents with information about physical activity
- Encourage parents to support Fuel Up to Play 60 goals
- Attend meetings to advocate for your goals
- Arrange a meeting with key groups in your school (P.E. Department, Principal, PTA/PTO) to share information about Fuel Up to Play 60 and Quality P.E.. Work with each group to find at least one advocate to join your effort.
- Meet with your team to plan a presentation and promotional campaign to convince the School Board to implement quality physical education principles as outlined by the National Association for Sport and Physical Education. Consider creating a video to highlight the need and desire for implementation.
- Get your adult advocates to help you arrange for a presentation at a school board meeting. Invite supporters of Fuel Up to Play 60 to attend the meeting in a show of support.
- At the meeting, emphasize your goals of promoting quality physical education and its benefits to learning and long-term health. Explain how improving the physical education offerings at your school may lead to higher achievement and long-term health and success for all students.
- Provide group members with handouts that share information about Fuel Up to Play 60 and the importance of regular physical activity using the Tools and Resources below.