Type of Play: Healthy Eating
Subcategory: Try It, Youll Like It
Student Interest Areas: Culinary, Public Relations
Grade Level: Elementary & Secondary
Level of Involvement: Going Further
Add a “Build Your Own Shake-Up Bar” in your school cafeteria, encouraging students at your school to try new smoothie combinations. Encourage students to drink nutrient-rich low-fat or fat-free dairy and fruit smoothies – and to improve their healthy eating habits every day.
- Work with school nutrition professionals to identify needed supplies and ingredients
- Solicit community donations
- Advertise the smoothie bar
- Help run the smoothie bar and clean-up
- Work with foodservice and school nutrition professionals to implement your Shake-Up Bar on a regular basis in your cafeteria.
Keep It Going:
- Work with a team of school nutrition professionals to determine what equipment you’ll need for the smoothie bar, as well as the best choices to offer. Ingredients might include low-fat or fat-free milk and yogurt, fresh or frozen fruits, 100 percent fruit juices and ice cubes.
- Advertise the new smoothie bar by making morning announcements, putting up posters in the cafeteria, distributing flyers, placing an article in the school newsletter and using the school website. Provide students with information about how nutritious smoothies are.
- Consider getting the community involved by requesting donations of food samples or smoothie-making equipment from local businesses.
- Ask students to help suggest – and name – different smoothie recipes. Encourage students and friends to choose the smoothies as a delicious and nutritious dessert alternative.