Type of Play: Healthy Eating
Subcategory: Making Nutritious Foods Fun
Student Interest Areas:
Grade Level: Elementary
Level of Involvement: Getting Started
Hold contests to see which classroom or grade level can eat the recommended number of servings of nutrient-rich foods from the food groups including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat or fat-free dairy foods and lean protein foods every day for a month. Highlight the food of the month and give classroom rewards for those who “win” or all who reach their goal.
- Work with a team to plan the contest
- Prepare and distribute handouts
- Obtain contest prizes and rewards
- Advertise the contest to students
- Work with a team of students and teachers (who can encourage students on a daily basis) and the school nutrition manager, health teachers and school nurse (who can provide nutritional information).
- Distribute informational handouts to students about healthy eating guidelines, and how many servings of each food group are recommended. Post nutritional guidelines in the school newsletter and on posters throughout the school and in classrooms.
- Obtain prizes and rewards from the community.
- Advertise the contests to everyone by putting up posters in high-traffic areas, making PA announcements and distributing flyers. During the contest, be sure to post updates on students’ progress and which classrooms or grade levels are making progress.