- Use the Polling & Survey Tools at FuelUpToPlay60.com to find out what foods students have or haven’t tried that could be offered in one of the promotional bars.
- Hold a meeting of students and Program Advisor(s) with the school nutrition staff to find out which of the foods could be featured.
- Work with your local community organizations or businesses to get donations of different foods to try.
Here are some fun ideas to feature:
- Pizza Bar—offer toppings for cheese pizza, with whole grain crust and low-fat or fat-free cheese, that students can add, such as jalapenos, black olives, extra low-fat or fat-free cheese, hot sauce, peppers, fresh tomatoes, pineapple or cooked chicken, etc. Investigate and offer fresh prepared and/or delivered pizza options and have students vote for their favorites; based on success, include as a meal item with the potential for increased meal participation. Offer pizza with low-fat and fat-free cheese as a breakfast item. Kids love pizza at any meal!
- Super Salad Bar—offer cherry tomatoes, broccoli, a variety of low-fat and fat-free cheese types and forms (cubed, shredded), jalapenos, nuts, etc.
- Pro Potato Bar—offer a variety of low-fat and fat-free cheeses, broccoli, chives, nuts, low-fat or fat-free plain yogurt mixed with spices, etc.
- Tasty Taco Bar—offer lettuce, tomato, low-fat and fat-free cheese, hot sauce, salsa, low-fat sour cream, jalapenos, etc. Try mixing plain low-fat or fat-free yogurt with salsa for a new type of topping!
- Yogurt Bar—set up a bar with a few flavors of low-fat and fat-free yogurt with toppings like fruit, whole grain granola, nuts, raisins, etc.