Type of Play: Healthy Eating
Subcategory: Bring on Breakfast
Student Interest Areas: Culinary, Public Relations
Grade Level: Elementary & Secondary
Level of Involvement: Going Further
Organize a program to provide nutritious, easy-to-eat breakfast foods to be offered to students during class. Help students get a good start to their day with a nutritious breakfast!
- Help create a menu with school nutrition professionals
- Solicit donations from local stores, restaurants or farms
- Provide resources for teachers
- Advertise the program
- Encourage their friends and classmates to make healthy choices
- Create a regular schedule for your Breakfast In the Classroom program!
Keep It Going:
- Work with your school nutrition manager to create a menu of nutrient-rich, student-appealing breakfast choices. Offer conveniently packed and easy-to-clean-up foods including fruits, vegetables, whole grains low-fat or fat-free dairy foods and lean protein foods.
- Speak with teachers to get their support for the program. Encourage them to use Breakfast in the Classroom as an opportunity to teach about healthy eating and the importance of breakfast. Use the information sheets and presentation tools provided below to help.
- Consider local grocery stores, restaurants, or farms that might be willing to provide food samples and ideas.
- Use the Tools and Resources below to share information with students and teachers, and to help you get donations and support from the community.
- Spread the word about Breakfast in the Classroom. Create posters to put up in high-traffic areas, distribute flyers in classrooms and advertise your program in the school newsletter and website. Encourage everyone at your school to make healthy eating choices in the morning and to eat breakfast every day.